I love living in Normal; it is a great place to be.
I decided to run for councilman to represent the citizens of Normal and to help maintain the high quality of life we’ve come to enjoy here. In pursuit of that goal I applied for and was appointed to fill an unexpired term on the Normal Council in September 2012. I have enjoyed the job and am working hard to represent you.
As Councilman my focus has been and will continue to be to:
- Maintain high-quality, cost-effective public services;
- Ensure sound financial management, bringing successful small business vision and practices to Normal government;
- Support responsible, sustainable growth throughout Normal; and
- Enhance quality of life across our community.
My voting record to this point has borne out this focus:
- Voted to save Normal citizens $2 million through bond refinancing
- Voted to keep property tax levy flat, while still meeting our funding and reserve obligations
- Voted to move forward on the Uptown One project helping to maintain positive economic momentum
- Voted against adding financial burden to Normal restaurants
As your Councilman over the past six months I have spent over 100 hours outside of council meetings with administration, staff, and Town of Normal reports, learning about the operations of Normal so as to better represent you.
I am your neighbor. Plus, for nearly 17 years I have owned and run a successful business in our community. I have weathered tough economic times, persevered through financial pressures, and remained profitable. Managing responsibly and investing prudently are financial practices I understand.
Finally, I have volunteered my leadership, coaching, and organizing skills to our community for over a decade. Some community service efforts include:
- Center for Emerging Entrepreneurs Advisory Board 2011-present
- Conventions and Visitors Bureau Board of Directors 2012-present
- Town of Normal Community-wide Sustainability Task Force 2008-2010
- ISU Advisory Council – School of Kinesiology and Recreation 2008-present
- IWU volunteer coach 2004-present
- Lake Run Club – President 2009-present; Board member 2003-present
- Creek and stream bank cleanup events organizer 2009-present
I love living in Normal and contributing to its vitality, and I want to continue to represent you on the Town Council.